This exam is performed at your initial visit.
During a comprehensive exam, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Full Mouth X-rays: These enable the dentist to detect decay, cavities, bone loss, and any abnormalities present. Sometimes a panoramic x-ray (an x-ray that take a picture of your entire mouth in one single image) is taken to see different areas of the mouth and jaw
- Gum Disease Screening: The gums and bone around your teeth will be examined for signs of Periodontal Disease (bone loss- inflammation and bacteria around the tooth that break down bone)
- Dental Charting: Any existing dental treatment will be noted in your patient chart
- Oral hygiene Instruction: Both the dentist and hygienist will give you a personalized oral hygiene lesson (brushing, flossing and mouthwash use)
- Oral Cancer Screening: The head, neck, and mouth will be examined for any suspicious areas that may need further evaluation by a specialist
- Examination: The dentist will check all surfaces of teeth for decay (cavities) and a full treatment plan will be made for you
**If you were previously under the care of a different dentist, please contact their office and sign a release to have your records and x-rays sent to our office. Please note that the cleaning is not done during the comprehensive exam, it will need to be scheduled at a later date
Periodic Exam –This exam is done yearly after the initial comprehensive exam.
This appointment will typically include:
- 4 Bitewing X-rays: These will enable the dentist to evaluate for decay between your back teeth. Additional x-rays may be taken if needed.
- Gum Disease Screening
- Cleaning (If your last exam was 1 ½ years ago or less)
- Oral hygiene Instruction
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Examination by the Dentist
** If it has been 2+ years since last completing treatment or exam, the exam will need to be updated and you may not get a cleaning at this time